Wednesday, February 16, 2011

the beautiful loss

Let me just get this out there right now.

I cannot stand losing.

I hate it. Despise it. Do everything I can to avoid it. Well...I wouldn't cheat to win but you should get the point. That said, imagine my dismay when I lost my tennis match today to some slow put-put pusher. It was maddening. Worse even was the fact that I really lost because I beat myself (tons of unforced errors).

But there is a certain humbling factor that comes with losing that I'm very grateful for.

It didn't occur to me until I took my post-loss shower but the joy that comes with losing is that it shines a very bright spotlight on our inadequacies; that is, it's a highlighter revealing how imperfect we are. There are some times where we can try with all of our might and come up short.

Don't get me wrong. I still love winning. But it's the losses that really check your character and help you to refocus. And for those things...I am grateful for my loss tonight.

No comments: