Saturday, June 11, 2011

Sunday Afternoon Thoughts

It's been quite a week for sure.

One of the main things that sucked has been the fact that I've been in a really intense fight with Sop Sop the whole week. The logistics are rather trivial but there has been one huge takeaway that I've been mulling.

Part of the tension in any relationship is the "adjustment period." That is, the period of time where the newness fades and the stubbornness of self surfaces. This is not entirely bad (good exercise habits can start to rub off, diligent work practices, etc). This is not always fun either (character issues will inevitably show during this period as well as any unreconciled baggage from the past).

For me, it's definitely been more of the latter. Specifically, the thing that has been most unnerving has been the result of such drastic differences in character. In our conflicts, I have a tendency to address things directly through very direct communication. The other half has a tendency to be silent and pretend like things will remedy themselves after a period of several days.



Things get complicated. Situations get intense. It's something everyone goes through.


I haven't quite figured out "what to do." However, I do know that the handling of this situation will do so much to affect the future of the relationship. To quite my boy Andy, "Relationships are best evaluated not by where they currently stand but by the direction that they are headed."

1 comment:

dluxe said...

I like what Andy said. Wise words indeed. Thanks, Fred. I read your blog every now and then to see how you are. Life seems to be going for you...interpret that in whatever way you want. Katee told me you wondered if you should text me on Sunday, and I'm glad you didn't. It was the mature thing to do. Congras! Anyway, hope you are well. Byee!

ps. I am doing VERY well, thanks for wondering. Sunday was perfect :)