Tuesday, September 11, 2007

1 week later

It's been a week since it happened.

I've discussed the situation with my wise council. Still no definitive answer. Many feel I should completely abandon the situation and just stay out (as apparently so clearly desired by other people). Others feel that I should keep doing what I'm doing and not change a thing.

Personally, I've found very little peace either way. I do know that this week of praying has led to much grief. I also know that I don't quite have peace taking this thing down either. I seek clarity and believe that I simply need more time.


In any case, I wish to leave the following reflection of mine...



"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." - Matt 11:28-30


Isn't that verse so amazing? Jesus Himself...welcoming us to lighten our load.

Do not be fooled, however. Jesus is not inviting people to some sort of a gimmick. It's not as if He's a used car salesman begging you to trade in your car for a newer or "better" one. No...not quite. Jesus instead is inviting us to learn from His way of living.

The amazing dynamic about us, as humans, is the fact that we're extremely relational. Yet many of these relations leave dents, tattered baggage, and calloused scars all over our poor souls. Inevitably, our bodies get bogged down with excess weight, and we drag when we continue to press on in life.

Am I not clear? Think of it this way. Super Glue your hand to someone else's hairy chest. When your hand finally separates from said hairy chest, there's undeniable evidence left on both parties. The chest is now graced with residue from not only the glue, but probably some torn skin as well from your hand. As for your hand, well, I don't even need to talk about how obvious it would be that your hand was clearly where few hands dare to go.

Perhaps the analogy was a little obtuse. However, don't forget the point of it all. When we enter friendships with people (be it romantic or platonic), those friends make undeniable imprints on our lives. The problem is, when some of those friendships go awry, we continue to carry that baggage (hairy chest and all) with us.

Which is what makes Jesus' invitation all the more profound. He openly invites us to deposit our broken lives at the foot of the cross. He shows us what it means to truly embrace it (the cross) and live forever changed as a result. In essence, we're living life to the fullest!

I can't quite break it down as well as I'd like. A.W. Tozer does a much better job...

(from The Pursuit of God)

"To men and women everywhere Jesus says, 'Come unto me, and I will give you rest.' The rest He offers is the rest of meekness, the blessed relief which comes when we accept ourselves for what we are and cease to pretend. It will take some courage at first, but the needed grace will come as we learn that we are sharing this new and easy yoke with the strong Son of God Himself. He calls it "My yoke," and He walks at one end while we walk at the other."


This has helped me find peace. To know that no matter what happens, God's value of me is unchanging. To completely understand that though I may masquerade around life as some make believe character, when I unveil my trueself head bowed down at the cross, Jesus will still be there smiling and embracing me for what He's made me.

No comments: