Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sunday Night Thoughts

11 days and I'm finally able to write on this thing again.

There's been a lot of my mind. A lot of things yet to come. And a lot of things that have already happened.

Lately, I've been reflecting on the past year. Simply trying to learn from my journey and apply beneficial principals moving forward. One concept I've found particularly noteworthy was that of judgment.

It's nothing new really. After all, I have thought and re-thought this same virtue over and over again. But, it doesn't necessarily have to be new in order for it to be something valuable. In this case, I have discovered that just hearing something again has been really refreshing.

This surfaced recently this year. I was on the phone, as I find myself doing from time to time, and started conversing. Eventually, dialogue shifted to a lot of stuff regarding "the drama" (this person is well aware of a lot of the stuff that happened). Essentially they summarized that perhaps I should reconsider my whole stance about how God was working in my heart because if that were the case, according to them, I would be a lot different by now.

I've never seen my anger fuse light faster than it did at that moment.

I don't know what happened, but them saying that infuriated me on a whole new level. I've never felt so judged in my life. They, in a span of just 5 minutes, tried to encapsulate my entire year just by making a few observations based on how I was acting at that moment. However I ended up pretty thankful because it surfaced many things.

1) There was plenty of truth to what they said. Not because their assertion was right in any way at all (I have been making progress mind you). But because if I were truly at peace with everything, I would never have been so easily angered over nothing at all. Hmph.

2) I am guilty of judging just as much as they are. They made assertions and premature conclusions about me; but I never considered that I do the exact same thing to them when I pretend to know exactly where they are in terms of their own process. Sure, it's likely that they are probably completely different place than me...but that doesn't mean that I know it all.

3) I have no right to point a finger at all. Not when there are so many that can be pointed back at me FIRST.




Humility again God? Haven't you taught me this before?

You are hilarious.

No comments: