Friday, May 20, 2011

Friday Afternoon Thoughts

Lately I have been learning a lot from some of my mentors.

I've been told time and time again how important it is to take the time to define different aspects of your life. When you're practicing a sport, for instance, you define the best methods for sharpening your skills. When you're starting a new year, it's best to define your goals for the year. When you start a diet, you define what weight you would ideally be at. Et cetera.

Personally this has had many different applications for me.

- For my relationship with Sof Sof, I've had to define what it is that I enjoy about her and what it is that I don't. Both have been equally hard for me.

- For some of my past friendships, it's been acknowledging that some people will likely (unless they are very intentional about maintaining the friendship) not be in my life again.

- For some of my work disciplines, it meant knowing what to say yes to and what to say no to.

Part of the benefit of doing this is that you become uniquely you. You are no longer chained to what culture or peers say you should be; rather you become an evolving masterpiece growing in complexity and beauty continually. This doesn't guarantee that you won't go through your normal ups and downs; however it does mean that your identity will be formed purely by what you've made of it. You'll end up being more secure. No more pretense.

I don't think this is for everyone (some people want to be shaped by other people). Further, there are a variety of factors that complicate things (like Christian morals for instance). But the principal is profound.

And it will change your life if you let it.

1 comment:

Brownskyn said...

welcome back to regularity. you've been missed.