Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The Aftermath (Part IV)

Considering the decisions that have been made (and the ramifications of such), we find ourselves at a rather precarious situation. You'll get different stories from different people. Glorie's family will probably maintain the position of "we're still friends" if one were to ask them what the relationship status is between our families. My family, well my parents specifically, would probably say likewise sentiments. Yet, this fake, rehearsed response is far from truthful.

My parents finally ended up talking with Tita Maricor a few weeks ago. They didn't really disclose many specific details regarding their conversation with me but a few things really stood out to me.

1) Though my mom and dad both spoke individually to Tita Maricor, they both cried afterwards. My parents love Glorie and her family very, very much. I imagine the conversation was extremely painful to them.

2) Somewhere in the conversation, Tita Maricor told my mom specifically that Ryan and Glorie had been going out for one week prior to Glorie's accident. This is a complete and utter LIE. If they were going out, there are two scenarios (both of which I've personally witnessed) that should never have occurred...

- During one of my stays in the hospital (it was that sunday), many people from Glorie's church went to go visit her. One of those was a gentleman by the name of Brother Tom (I believe he's the college pastor or something at FBCCF). Anyway, Brother Tom went on to say the following:

[to me] "What's your relationship to Glorie?"
"Me? I'm simply another one of her friends."
[to Ryan] "What is your relationship then?"
"I'm her friend too."

So, if Ryan truly had been going out with Glorie for a week prior to the accident, he no doubt would be ashamed of that fact would he? Therefore, it would be appropriate for him to tell the truth here to Brother Tom and say "I'm her boyfriend."

- On the other hand, if Glorie and Ryan were truly going out, then surely she would have told someone in her family. Yet, for the entirety of my time down there, there was never a mention of that fact. Everyone confirmed that they definitely got really close, but no one confirmed that they were in fact officially "boyfriend/girlfriend."

Supplement that with the fact that to literally every guest that came to visit Glorie, Tita Maricor and Tito Henry introduced Ryan merely as Glorie's friend. It wasn't until Wauchula that he gained that title "Glorie's boyfriend." Further, I personally asked Tita Maricor if anything was going on between Glorie and Ryan (remember...this is where she maintains that "Glorie doesn't choose me and Glorie doesn't choose Ryan."), and she maintained that there was nothing going on.

So there you have it. Either Tita Maricor is lying and told a lie straight up to me (and subsequently my mom), or Ryan is lying and lied needlessly to a pastor of a church. Either one of those things are equally likely to be true...or the fact of the matter is that Glorie and Ryan were never together in the first place--that was only predicated ever since this Ryan was confirmed to be "of the Lord." It's ridiculous all the way around.

3) The end result of my parents' conversation with Tita Maricor ended up in a stern command to not have any contact with me by any means. In their opinion, if Glorie's family has the audacity to make such a ludicrous request to me, then it's certainly not out of the question to ask likewise. Don't know about that but what can I do?


That's where things are. There are a plethora of relationships that have been able to develop and grow as a result of the relationship Glorie and I had. All of these relationships were built, brick-by-brick, with trust and time. It took over 4 years to cultivate these beautiful bonds. Yet when you look at those kinships now, you all you find are the shattered remnants of willful destruction. Every single relationship has been demolished...and for what? To pursue and sustain Glorie and Ryan's romance? What a foolish trade.

This result is precisely why it's so hard for me to believe the claims that Tita Maricor has tried to maintain during this whole situation. She claims that the relationship between our families are so pure that they transcend my relationship with Glorie. Further, she tries to maintain the view that she still views me as her "anak."

Yet the actions are completely contradictory to these mere words.

If I were truly her son, I would be treated differently. Ryan's threats to call the police or pursue litigation against me would be immediately quelled--parents wouldn't let something reach that level needlessly. But they don't do anything about it. Instead of reprimanding Ryan for such a thoughtless decision, they accuse me through email of things I have never done. If I am a son to them, then I'm surely not valued highly.

If our families' relationships were bigger than my relation with Glorie, then all the support from my family wouldn't be filtered out. Support as simple as a DVD (where people cried and purposely prayed over Glorie to specifically bring her encouragement) would not be taken away. And for what? "We don't want Glorie to get confused with how she should feel about Ryan." Again, exchanging support for romance. My mom probably hit that nail on the head.

"Mare, did you know that my son made that DVD not just for Glorie, but for your whole family? That is your last memory of mommy. Where did you put it?"
"..... it's with Ryan."


It's been really hard being in the middle of this entire storm. I've wanted to sustain everything that was once so beautiful to everyone; but now it's all been burned. What's most painful, perhaps, is that the whole time I was trying to hold this structure up, the people who were supposed to be family to me inserted knife after knife into my back. Not content with keeping it at that, they exacerbate the predicament by putting salt in the wounds.

"We're doing what God wants us to do. You're only going to make it harder on yourself to heal by destroying our reputations."

Oh, and besides dealing with that, take into consideration that my Grandmother was literally dying all this time. Then you get a taste of what my life has been like for the past 2 months.


Lastly, Tita Maricor told me (the last time that we talked), that she wanted me to shine light where she may not have been looking before. I've been trying to do that the entire time. The entire 4+ years I was with Glorie, our relationship never stood in the way of ANY of her other friendships. Not only has her relationship with Ryan contributed to the destruction of my family's relationship with her, but it's also stood in the way of Myriam's (one of her most dear friend) relationship with her as well.

Glorie once told my mom specifically, "I value your family so much Tita Cherry. I'm still not sure how I feel about Ryan...but I know that I don't want things between me and him to get in the way between both of our families. It just wouldn't be worth it."

No comments: