Wednesday, September 29, 2010

life sentence

It was such a joy going to TLR yesterday.

We had a guest speaker who basically discussed the wisdom in living life intentionally. One of his talking points captured me and I haven't really been the same ever since.

His argument was that in the end, once we're long dead, our life will be summarized in one sentence. That is, everything we've ever done and everything we've ever lived for, whether we like it or not, will be captured in a sentence. For instance:

- George Washington was the father of our country.
- Harry Truman dropped the atomic bomb.
- Rosa Parks refused to move to the back.
- Lady Gaga...well I don't even want to go there.

Anyway this concept was leveraged to draw attention to the fact that our lives are worth something. After all, who wants to be remembered as "Best Tequila Drinker" or "Most awesome money spender"? This isn't to naysay anyone who likes tequila or spending money. But it is a challenge to evaluate whether or not those things are worth devoting one's life to.

As I started exploring this thought, I started to wonder why people don't take this more seriously. It's reasonable to believe that everyone wants to be remembered for something good...but why don't people take greater initiative...doing good? Shouldn't those things be logical?

For me, I tried to remember what have I done that leaves any sort of thumbprint in anyone's life--and I couldn't think of anything. Talk about fail.
But then, Gracefully, I started to recall that within this quirky collection of personality is this innate desire to simply be sincere. And, for those who have been run over by it, apparently it's something else.

Anyway, the speaker closed by saying the main difference between people who are deemed great and those who would be consider "nobody" is simply the fact that great people do great things.

So what am I doing great today?

No comments: