Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sunday Night Thoughts

It's been quite a long day.

Although I really love serving at my church, I'm quickly approaching the point where I think I'm beginning to get burned out. I've been up since 6 AM this morning (had to be at buckhead at 6:30 AM) and am still here. I was able to see my falcons completely demolish the cardinals in between but that's neither here nor there (;

One thing I found myself thinking about today was what life was all about anyway. Andy was teaching out of the book of ecclesiastes today and obviously it had me thinking in that direction. If you've never read the bible or don't really believe any of it, ecclesiastes is a really interesting book that can be read by itself; it's basically a collection of parting thoughts as a great king sees the end of his life is near. The main thesis in the book is that everything in life doesn't really amount to anything; rather the collection of life, as we know it here, seems to point to something/someone much more eternal.

For me, believing in God makes the most sense because life seems way too uneven.

- People who study hard in school end up with low paying jobs while those who cheat are making money hand over fist.
- Individuals get promoted based on favor and appeal (and often times under the table agreements) rather than based on work merit.
- Infidelity.
- Financial misfortune for those who have been faithful while fortune awaits the corrupt.
- Drunk drivers take the most innocent of children while molesters live to see more than a century's worth of history.

And yet, in much the same way it doesn't make sense that all of these things exist seemingly going unreconciled, one of the main tenets of Christianity fixates on this unevenness; it's essentially the reason Christians are able to distinguish themselves as children of God. Truly understanding how radical that concept is is what fuels much of my faith to persevere through said unevenness of life.

Anywho as I sit writing this I can't help but think about the direction my life is taking. After all, the value in understanding a principle is completely in the application right?

Yum.

No comments: