Friday, May 23, 2008

Friday Afternoon Thoughts

I don't know everything.

I often pretend like I do. Usually I masquerade this character that presents himself to be very, very wise. But the truth behind the mask is that I really don't know anything.

On the other hand, I do possess a modicum of experience. I have learned much from what has happened to me (be it through personal experience or through someone else's). Among my lessons has been one of faith.

I spent several minutes the other day talking about how wise it would be to be patient and wait through a major decision. That has often proved itself to be a very wise approach to life. However, there is another side to that same coin.

We will all encounter a moment where it's simply impossible to ascertain what the "right" thing to do is. You can research all you want, pray until you're blue in the face, and ask the wisest of council and arrive at the same conclusion--"I still don't know."

Enter faith.

I have found that there are times when it's appropriate to simply go and do something and have faith that the path will be lit as you go along. The premise of faith, after all, is that you act based on what you believe will happen (regardless of the amount of evidence you have to believe).

If you add the bible to the mix, the seriousness of faith intensifies exponentially. It's so significant, that it's at the heart of Christianity. In fact, if you were to ask God what is the only thing that pleases Him, the answer would be--faith.

How relevant is this now? For me, it means trusting God with everything. Even small details like conversation. For so long I've allowed multiple scenarios to play out in my mind and have checked out every detail of every decision I've made. Yet I never added faith to the mix. Never really considered that, if I were to be objective, I have no control over anything. By myself I couldn't even get through the day.

Focused, I am something completely different. And that's where the connection can be drawn. I realize that I could keep waiting until the "perfect time" to follow through, but I'll never be able to identify this "perfect time."

I'm going for it.

And I have faith that it'll be worth it.

No comments: