Tuesday, June 10, 2008

God really is patient

It's been a little under 24 hours since my rant.

I still don't know where that came from. It felt so good writing that out though. With the sea of thoughts swimming around in this brain of mine, sometimes writing proves to serve as an effective ravine to allow for structure.

In any case, the theme of today was God. I basically started the day off begging Him to let me have a better day (compared to yesterday) and I think He just had mercy on me. It was only fitting that God was able to teach me a few things along the way.

1) I'm pretty sure my problem yesterday was due to the fact that I was unfocused. I simply lost perspective. I carried on throughout my day as if God owed me an explanation for life. Frankly, I don't know where I had the audacity to think of myself as someone whom He is accountable to, but I sure did a great job of it yesterday. I lacked humility. I think it's just that simple.

2) I really don't understand why God doesn't just strike me with lightning. If I were in His shoes, I would smite everyone who opposed me. I wouldn't even think twice about it. I wouldn't even snap my fingers to make it happen. I'd just smite with the blink of an eye.

With this said, it's clearly apparent how much I have to learn about loving others. If God were to smite everyone in a manner similar to me, I would be among the first He would annihilate.

But He doesn't.

He loves.
He restores.
He waits patiently.
He hugs.

This is the true nature of God.
Infinite compassion.
No-strings-attached forgiveness.
Immeasurable gentleness.
Champion of the weak.
Friend of the widow.
Father to the orphan.
Lover to the lonely.
Shelter from the storm.

It's crazy.

3) I had a really crazy thought tonight when we were singing "Mighty to save." I thought about how altruistic it would be if I were to constantly remind Glorie how thankful she should be that she's even alive. Very few people survive an accident and live to tell about it. In fact, when people pray for a loved one in an accident as severe as Glorie's, God will often respond with a "no." But He didn't with her. In fact, Jesus ended up showcasing just how mighty He was through her.

However the thing I found most striking is that her lesson is applicable to everyone. We, in a manner analogous to her, were hopeless just like she was. We could have died just as she could have. Instead, He made Him that knew no sin to be sin for us so that we may become the righteousness of God. In other words, we have life just as Glorie has life.

And it's all because of Jesus.
In both cases.


Maybe I need to start taking my own advice.

2 comments:

allie. said...

Loved todays post!

And yes - isn't He!
I'm constantly grateful that He is the One that does the holding on - in the face of my fickleness.

I have cracked the mystery - your blog is up as a link on both my spots.

I'm sure my friends will like it as much as I do.

Thanks for visiting

Samantha Gibson said...

hey fred, thanks for inviting me to your blog! i've only had a chance to peruse a few postings, but have enjoyed your tone of honesty, faith, and truth with not only the Lord, but those reading. will comment more specifically soon-again, it's an honor!
Sam