Saturday, April 19, 2008

Friday Night Thoughts

It was while I was reading this morning that I realized that I have grown into quite the reader over the past year.

In the past I usually relegated reading into a very mundane task. It was not an enjoyable process. Rather, it was something that only boring people did. Besides, even if I did want to read, I always assumed that I would just plunge into the bible...a book I've heard wild things about.

Then I read Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell. It isn't really the greatest of books. Nor is it the most thought provoking. By for some reason that book kind of rekindled the reading spirit within me. Now I enjoy reading simply because I still love learning.

So, with all of that said, there was something wildly hilarious that I read this morning. Someone once asked G.K. Chesterton what book he would take if he had to only choose one (were he to be stranded on an island). In case you are unaware, G.K. Chesterton is one of the eccentric Christian writers during his time. His trademark was to combine wit and humor to draw a very serious point. Naturally, I fully anticipated G.K. to give the [obligatory] response of the bible. He instead responded by saying he'd bring a book about how to build boats.

I lol-ed. That was a brilliant answer. Why is it that sometimes I try to be super holy when instead I could just be real?

1 comment: