Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I'm back

Well Philadelphia was neat.

I only spent a weekend there, but it was a weekend well spent. Saturday was mostly tourist day. I saw most of the obligatory sights (liberty bell, independence hall, etc) but oddly enough didn't see the rocky steps. It was neat.

The most interesting part of the trip was actually a room. There was nothing really special about the room. It had chairs and windows that were extremely old and such. Rather, it was what happened in the room that was so grand.

The room I'm referring to is the original congressional room in which the first congress of America first met. The reason that it stands out is because this room was where John Adams, the 2nd president of America, first took his oath of office. There's nothing particularly cool about that, but at the time, such an event was extremely radical.

Contextually speaking, you must keep in mind that at the time, the world was dominated with super powers that were headed by kings and queens. Therefore, for someone (George Washington) to relinquish his power willingly (not being assassinated or passing the power on to an heir) was thoroughly groundbreaking. It made the news. It was a big deal. No one thought Washington would do it. But he did. All in the room I was standing in. Now, whenever someone takes their oath of office, no one really cares. Everyone just knows that everything will happen the way it's supposed to go.

Now the reason this is so interesting is because it puts fresh perspective into focus. If Obama/McCain take office, I couldn't care any less. Yet it really is a big deal when you think about it. I suppose I join the throngs of people who likewise have grown apathetic toward the whole ordeal. I'm just used to it. But I shouldn't be. It got me to start thinking about other things, that I have grown apathetic toward, but are really a big deal.

Like Jesus hanging on a cross for example.

2 comments:

allie. said...

Wow!
Your last line hits hard.
In a good way. . .

allie. said...

I am mystified.
Your blog is so thought provoking, so interesting -I can't help wondering where all your commenters are.
There must be many who are drawn into the dialogue?
Does everyone else email you?
Or is there something in blogger-world that I am missing?