Friday, July 11, 2008

Shock

I heard that one of my friends says they will no longer call themselves Christian.

I was crushed. She's a pretty dear friend to me but I didn't know the extent of what she was going through. It's like I saw it coming. Growing more and more distant. Until finally there was disconnect.

Set aside all of the theological arguments as to whether one can "lose salvation", it's evident that what was once believed is no longer the case. What makes that so? How can one be so sure of what they believe in, yet so unsure at the same time? Where does one run to when these feelings start to arise?

It's pretty clear to me that one's faith is directly proportional to their foundational beliefs. That is, the stronger one believes in a particular idea or ideal, the more that they will have faith to persevere (even when logic seems to dictate otherwise). As it pertains to Christianity, the challenge of the entire concept of the Story is that the premise of the religion is fixated on faith. It's repeated throughout the bible.

"By grace you have been saved, through faith..." Eph 2
"through love and faithfulness sin is atoned for..." Proverbs 16
"This righteousness from God comes from God through faith..." Romans 3

Essentially, with Christianity, one is forced to rely on faith because, logically, the story doesn't make sense. In Christianity, Jesus gets what we deserve (death); while we get what we don't deserve (life). What a poor exchange.

Anyway, relating this back to Sil, I can only wonder what has pushed her away. If it really is true, and after all this is only hearsay from the lobster, then something must have influenced Sil to think otherwise.

Which is kind of what's bothering me in the first place. My belief was that it was something insider the current church culture that did it. Somewhere along the way, the community of Christ has abandoned a sister. Instead of nurture, there was neglect. This should never be. If we are to live as a community the way it was described in the bible (see: Acts), then something like this should've never happened. Certainly there are explanations in that she may have been considering other options for some time now (and that it could have nothing to do with the church), but it disturbs me all the same.

I've settled upon the fact that the best thing I can do is simply be a friend to her. To love her in much the same way that I always have. Do the small things that often never get the credit that they deserve. Tell her how much she's valued. Be intentional about spending time with her and just hanging out/having fun. Discuss life on the many crazy layers that only a college person goes through.

My only hope is that somewhere along the way, she will see Jesus again; whether it's on her own or (gasp) even in me. Scary.

1 comment:

allie. said...

Hullo again!
Here in South Africa I have heard many devoted Christians say the same thing (I have said it myself) but in the context that the actual word "Christian" now has so much bad baggage that it no longer means what it is supposed to mean.
So many choose to call themselves 'followers of Christ' or some such.
But it hasn't meant that they are moving away from their intent to live life with/in/for Him.
Having said that, there are also large numbers here of those who have been deeply wounded by exactly what you have identified: the gap between churchspeak and real caring and inclusion.
The kind of thing you spoke about in the "circle of backs' - in a spiritual context.
The decision you made about how to handle her pain and disillusionment (if that is what it is) seems an excellent one.
No one can resist selfless love for ever.