Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Why humility matters

Today was a semi-important day for me.

You see, I am what you call a technology connoisseur. Much in the same way that there are wine connoisseurs who take delight in only the most spectacular of wines, I find joy in gadgets and all things related to technology.

The problem with this is purchasing my gadgets. Many electronics retailers have likened their business model to be somewhat akin to the car industry. Build a big store to carry a whole lot of inventory. Hire a bunch of sales associates to get rid of inventory. Sales associates get a percentage of sale because they helped sell [x] item.

I despise this system. I don't like sales people who want to butter me up to get my sale. I'm all for people earning their money, but don't pressure me in order to do so. Further, don't talk to me like I'm an idiot and try to showcase your knowledge in a vain attempt to impress me.

As I made my purchase today, I had the experience I expected (and didn't want to happen). I walk in ready to buy. No one greets me. After 10 mins, someone finally checks on me. I ask a few questions then get passed around left and right to other associates. No one takes me seriously because I'm young. The only person who does take me seriously isn't half as informed as I am about the products that he's selling.

It all compounded and bothered me. I could do their job 10x better than they could, and yet they would make commission off me simply because that's the way that the system would work. It's tragic. Yet, somewhere on the way home I stumbled across something extremely disturbing:

Where, in the 45 minutes I spent at the store, did I reflect Christ?

When did I ever greet someone with a simple smile?
When did I show gentleness and reserve judgment?


I walked into the store completely convinced that I was going to have a miserable experience. I walked out with the misery because I didn't do anything to avoid it.

What I failed to realize was that, although it's probably a good thing for me to be thoroughly researched/educated for something as nerdy as technology, it is not ok for me to think that that knowledge makes me better than any one else. In other words, just because I know better doesn't mean I am better. If I am to walk in with some elitist attitude thinking that I know everything (and setting up "exercises" that I want my sales person to go through), I will only end up getting a big head filled with a ton of pride.

Instead, I missed an opportunity to perhaps share something useful to another person such that they may perform better at their job as a result. And I missed this opportunity for what...? Because they didn't strike me as intelligent enough? What a pity.

Proper perspective changes everything.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Life is all about perspective and humility goes a long way, especially if you want to make a difference in the world. I remember this amazing verse that still to this day I have to remind my overly-critical self of.

"...if you extract the precious from the worthless, you will become My spokesman." Jeremiah 15.19

I see what's wrong with people and situations before I give them a chance - I always am trying to bring myself back to humility, the reality of how awesome I'm not and how much God loves everyone - even the morons.