Tuesday, July 22, 2008

what's your status?

There's a church in Orlando that I'm particularly fond of.

It is more aptly named Discovery Church. Aside from their regular sunday services, they have a gathering known as status on sunday evenings. At first, I had very bitter feelings toward status. When you walk in, you immediately observe the fact that many of the gathering are extremely posh. In other words, there's a sort of "cool" vibe that radiates. This isn't really a bad thing, however the danger with this is some people can end up feeling bad about themselves as a result (what if they don't feel like they belong?).

In the end my appreciation for the status community ended up growing more and more. They simply created an environment where my hunger for God increased. Part of this was due to the fantastic musicians that played. Among them being Mr. Cole Nesmith. Tonight, Cole played at buckhead church. I got to know him and his bandmates and discussed discovery, northpoint, and God. It was kinda cool.

The reason any of this is noteworthy is because tonight put something into focus for me. Somewhere along the way when we were singing "Closer" by Charlie Hall, I thought about the fact that we, as humans, are all connected. Whether we live in Georgia or Florida, USA or Iraq, Africa or Asia we are all linked.

Humanity is an incredible link in and of itself, but there's something indescribable when one considers how we are linked in Christ. Proper perspective of our unity in Christ is necessary to facilitate proper understanding of our place here on earth.

You see, it is only when we view each other on equal footing in reverence to Christ that we begin to discover the God is doing marvelous things in everyone all the time. It's a pretty big concept to wrap one's mind around. But man does it blow you away.

But with that said...here's some shots that I took from my spy box.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yutarets! kasagad bah!

allie. said...

This is belated because somehow this post slipped under my radar.
Pity but anyway...

We have recently become part of that sort of church - I wudda never have believed that possible: SO not what I have always felt was "OK"

But I, like you did there, have discovered a powerful passion for God and people of all sorts there.

Mea culpa - for pre-judging - yet again!
The church is called Common Ground
I love the name
It speaks so many things

And about the connectedness:
with all reverence I call the Lord "The Master Dot Connector"
because the way He orchestrates events and people without ever taking anything from their free will is astonishing and mysterious and satisfying -don't you think?