Friday, February 05, 2010

Oh snaps!

Weirdness.

The day started with me getting pulled over on the way to work. It was one of those small residential roads that are dimly lit. I was just minding my own business when I saw passed the po-po. Suddenly I knew (uh-oh). Pulled over and was the most respectful asian boy ever. Thankfully I ended up just getting a warning. It was cool too because this guy was the Lieutenant Marshall of John's Creek. Score!

Most of the morning involved some pretty intense creativity. The DT bar went out so the store was stuck on one bar the whole time. Alex and I were the ones assigned for bar that day. Since she's a lot faster than me, we came up with a system where I would just prepare everything and she'd just finish it off. It worked out great and we laughed. I'm kinda scared with her. I don't know whether or not she has a boyfriend but she's become increasingly more "friendly" lately. I don't really want our friendship to head there so I don't know what I'm going to do. I figure maybe it's best that I just keep being me for now but set the record straight as soon as it starts "getting there."

Later in the morning this one girl gave me her number. She's a regular customer and I'm real friendly and stuff but I never thought she'd be so forthcoming. I wonder what she's up to? Maybe it's just casual and she wants to be friends. But I've never had a girl approach ME. Then again, everything kinda happens backward at this store. I mean, I've been called Tiger Woods by several different people, been told I was "very beautiful", and then been complimented by how pristine my smile is. Oh and of course my infamous stalker. Joy.

Then, perhaps the cherry on my dessert of the day, there was lovely Amelia. You see, Amelia strolled in the store sporting a fabulous pea coat fit for the runway. After she took the tie out, her hair flowed downed in very Herbal Essence-esque fashion. Her smile brightened up the relative gloom of Thursday's sunless drape over the store. I made eye contact with her colleague (I later learned she referred to her as "mom") and wondered what drink I could make them. I can't quite remember what happened, but when Amelia showed me her toy salamanders, I was hooked. I made her kids hot chocolate so fast it set a record.

Anyway, I bring her up because before she left she made sure to come back and show me what she made. Freshly torn from her winnie the pooh coloring book was this picture of a horse painted a crayolic shade of gray. On the bottom there was calligraphy resembling the word "Amelia." She smiled at me and said "I made this for you mister!"

I melted.

I don't know what it's like to have kids but I think I truly understand why they're so precious. Unpretentious and transparent, they embody an innocence that gets lost along the "growing up" phase. I believe that when we see them, we get reminded of one of the things life is all about and fall in love all over again. What a reprieve.

Ended the night with my men. For one reason or another they really look up to me. I simply taught a bunch of the stuff I went through from Oct-Dec and they soaked it in. It's a really weird feeling to be the youngest person leading a group of older people. But I guess that's one of the ways God works. Uses the most unconventional of methods to accomplish the most extraordinary results. I don't know whether or not they'll implement a lot of the stuff I left them with...but I guess that's ok. I'm not accountable anymore.

Spent more time thinking about the various things in my life tonight. Everything from Kristy to moving. I think I'll give it a night before I write more about it.

No comments: