Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Why I write here

Alas, I find myself ready to completely answer the question. Be advised, dear reader, that this response has been repeatedly prayed over...and I find myself with sweet peace.

I write because it helps me.

That's the truth. Nothing eloquent. I most experience catharsis when I journal. It's surreal even.

I write on this site with a specific focus in mind. I don't treat this speck of internet as if it were a normal blog. Rather, I treat it as my personal journal--online. The result is the interesting dynamic of public access to a private life. So, when one reads my writing, the context must be considered that they're reading MY view of the world in how it affects ME.

Yet the issue remains as to why I do this in the first place. The answer to that is simply this: to help others.

When it's all said and done, my goal is to be able to write about my life with such transparency that anyone reading will feel like they're across the table having coffee with me. If I'm able to establish such intimacy, I'm able to influence. If I'm able to influence, I have potential for impact.

If someone is able to read my writing, identify in some sense with what I'm going through, and then be encouraged to see how I've succeded (and likewise learn from my failure), then I consider that a rich opporunity.

I can attest to the truth of this principle; after all, David's writings about his life are what continually help me with mine.

So, if I continue writing in this and the only soul that benefits as a result is mine, then I'm content. Yet if this small life of mine is able to be a light to others (even if it's just for a moment) then I will consider myself even more successful. However, if an unbeliever identifies precisely with some of the storms that I deal/dealt with, and see just how significant having Christ in your life truly is, and see the fruits of that because of how I reacted to that storm, then the celebration simply won't stop coming from these lips of mine.

That's why I "think."

No comments: