Tuesday, September 16, 2008

the drastic contrast

there we were.

We had just finished a world record 50 minute break down of the living room set. The living room, by the way, is the college ministry's weekly gathering for people in the midtown area. We were celebrating and high-fiveing each other with our awesome put-everything-back-in-the-truck skills. Not a single face was without a smile.

This was with good reason too. Prior to this momentous occasion (remember, our tetris skills enabled us to finish packing everything up in record setting time), we had a great night of worship. Kristian Stanfill rocked the Biltmore with his raw energy. Brad delivered another message in his unique, smile producing manner. In all, hearts pointed toward God as He blew our minds away. There was reason to be happy tonight.

But then I started heading toward my car. I thought about the drive and was just happy all the way around when it started to happen. The contrast to my night that I'll never quite forget.

I heard screaming. A woman screaming and crying at the same time.
Then I heard a man angrily reprimand the screaming.
The unmistakeable sound of skin hitting skin soon followed.
Then more whimpering.

This memory is so vivid to me. I hope I'm perpetually cognizant of the fact that as wonderful as life can be post relationship with Christ, there is an equally intense feeling of brokenness for some people who feel hopeless.

This Christian faith was always meant to be shared. So why don't I?

No comments: