Friday, September 19, 2008

teased

Occasionally someone will call me when I'm at work.

I can talk on the phone and everything while I'm at work, but as it turns out I'm usually away from my phone when someone calls anyway. Today was one of those days. I got a call from an area code I didn't recognize. I googled the area code to see where it was from and, to my surprise, I discovered it was from Tampa.

I started thinking about whom I knew in Tampa (no one). Naturally, this eclectic mind of mine make the connection that perhaps out of nowhere, Ryan would try to call me. The odd thing is, I was thrilled at the notion.

I no longer view Ryan with any sort of disdain or angst. Instead, after writing my emails to him, I've found a greater sense of compassion toward him. The misnomer in this whole ordeal is that Ryan is a Christian. Everyone is entitled to believe whatever they may, but, when asked very specifically whether he was or not, I got a non response. Instead I got alluded to Christian vernacular "I've had to pray much about..." "his faith is growing..." So, I cut the excess. I identified, very clearly, what fruit Christians should bear (Galatians 5). I highlighted how he failed to demonstrate any of the characteristics toward me. In light of this, I asked very simply, "are you a Christian?"

After the non response I had peace taking it for what it is (someone who may not know). I thought about the best way I could respond to someone in that situation and I settled on the truth that perhaps the best thing I could do is simply be available and non-judgmental. I've tried very much to be both of those things and don't know how well received I've been (how can I know if there's no dialogue?).

Which is why I was thrilled at the prospect of him calling. Even if all he did was call to call me names I never even knew existed. Because that would mean that at least I'm on his mind--which equates to a level of curiosity--which will lead to questions.

Which I would love to be available for.

No comments: