Tuesday, September 30, 2008

the thought process

There's a fascinating idea that I've been able to explore extensively for the past several days.

This isn't an original idea of mine, of course. Instead, I was introduced to it by the high school director from my local church. The idea is a simple one really:

"Your thoughts will drive your actions. Therefore, what you think you will become."

It's kind of a weird idea to digest from the onset. It seems like there's a lot of holes in the logic, but I've found that the basic premise of the idea is rock solid. Think about it.

When a husband cheats on his wife, he doesn't just wake up and state "I'm going to wreck my marriage and destroy the relationship I've built up for so long because I feel good!" No. Instead, the end result (the affair) is the culmination of several small thoughts. Usually a nice compliment progresses to a longer-than-normal hug. Then the long hug turns into a "casual" lunch. The snowball continues to doing projects together. I'm sure the continuation of this process should be obvious.

This idea is true with the inverse as well. Those who desire to be excellent in their lives are those who think about excellent things. Michael Jordan certainly wasn't content being in 2nd place. He is insatiably driven to be the best at what he does. Michael Phelps doesn't casually swim when he competes; instead, his goal is to execute so perfectly that no one else in the world can do what he does.

All this said, I considered what the application is in my life. Then I immediately thought of this small speck of dust that I have aptly dubbed "think." And, as weird as it is, I think about what I think. At first I felt kind of proud and stuff cause I was finally doing something right for a change. That I was doing something healthy and loved doing it at that. Then I got incredibly challenged once I realized the biblical application of this principle of thoughts:

"Finally, brothers,
whatever is true
whatever is noble
whatever is right
whatever is pure
whatever is lovely
whatever is admirable, —if anything is excellent or praiseworthythink about such things. " Philippians 4:8


I don't think I "think" about any of those things. I just complain. In fact, I just highlighted how easily filled my small mind is with dumb stuff.

Yet there is hope. Because, gracefully, God doesn't need overly qualified people in order to use them. Instead, He calls on those who are simply willing.

And the rest is all Him.

No comments: