Monday, February 26, 2007

Wrestling with God

There's a passage of scripture in the book of Genesis that always struck me as odd. Jacob, son of Isaac (who is son of Abraham), wrestles with "a man." After wrestling with this man, it is concluded that Jacob was wrestling with God Himself. I feel like I've had a similar experience.

No, I haven't physically had an altercation with God the same way Jacob did. I feel my wrestle with Him was more metaphoric. Now that I think of it, I don't even think I was wrestling--it was more of a beat down. God simply punched me in the stomach over and over.

I've been complaining about work so much lately. How I don't like the work and that I don't like the people sometimes. Then the Lord decided to rock my world. He's giving me exactly what I'm asking for.

"Lord, let me shine like Jesus."

What does Jesus shine like then? Well, for starters, He has love. How do I love like Jesus? By getting placed among people who are unloveable. How do I have patience like Jesus? By getting placed in situations that drain me of patience.

It continues. The conclusion I have arrived at is that I simply have no right to complain when all God is doing is molding me. Rather, I should rejoice because He is doing what He needs to to make me shine for Him.

Absolutely freaking brilliant.

No comments: