Thursday, August 09, 2007

Choosing Love

I've found peace.

"This is the kind of life you've been invited into, the kind of life Christ lived. He suffered everything that came his way so you would know that it could be done, and also know how to do it, step-by-step." 1 Peter 2:21

In this situation with Glorie, the pain is shared by all. Glorie is a tremendous person used to impact many, many people. Everyone has been affected by it. However, no one (absolutely no one) can understand the pain felt by a mother and father. In my opinion, not even Praise can...and she's the sister. I'm not a parent and I have absolutely no idea what it's like to have a parent-child relationship, however, from what I hear, it's quite a surreal feeling. I imagine it's as if the tenderness and care for another person only intensifies and magnifies when it's your child.

With that said, that passion toward the child is what makes the pain sting all the more deeply. It hurts me so much; how much more does it hurt Tita Maricor or Tito Henry?

People aren't perfect. As humans, we are fallable. Even those whom I've placed great admiration and respect will fail me from time to time--and that's ok. In this huge story of Glorie's journey, it has happened such that the entire Santos family has hurt me greatly. Most puzzling is that the fact that I have no idea why they would act the way that they did. From my view, I have done absolutely nothing to warrant such pain. "Why?" was the theme of the day everyday.

So the focus shifted to my response. It was my choice. Would I decide to be vindictive with my pain and forever question the people that significantly helped to ensure that the past 4 years of my life were the among my best ever? Or would I choose the road less traveled even though I wasn't quite sure where that would lead?

Additionally, much affected this conclusion of mine. I thought about the idea of forgiveness and love as a whole. It's quite silly when you think about it. What if one of your best friends stopped being your friend cause you suddenly weren't adequate to meet their social needs. To add spit in your face, they continue hanging out with many of your friends, but they (and all your former friends) abandon you.

Forgiveness would mean calling said best friend and, after hearing the voicemail, telling them that they're still precious to you.

Love would be saving the best hug and warmest smile for them every single time that you cross paths.


The premise is really something else. It's easy to hate; it's extremely difficult to love. There would be nothing wrong with choosing to stay silent to the drunk driver who carelessly and selfishly takes your best friend's life. But it says something incredibly profound when you can hug same said drunk driver and look them dead in the eyes and say "I forgive you."

Personally, my pain is nothing compared to any of those situations (nor, again, the pain felt by any of the Santos family). Yet it's pain nonetheless. But it's something I've chosen to let go of. It wasn't apparent at first. It certainly wasn't natural to come to this decision. But it's the decision where I've found peace. I chose love and found peace. Imagine that.

1 comment:

Silvina said...

others arent as kind as you fred :]