Monday, August 06, 2007

Prayer Time: Appendix A

I recently watched a video of Glorie's old hospital room. While I can't say that I had an entirely positive response to the video, one of the things I was most amazed with was the sheer outpouring of love on Glorie. She is very, very loved.

Anyway, there is one thing that bothered me. Whomever edited the video, felt it necessary to put in the words "thank you for praying. It's WORKING."

Now, let's just explore this in context. I am absolutely certain that whomever did the video (I hypothesize that it is either Praise or Myriam), inserted this particular tidbit as a showcase of gratitude. That is, to let the viewer (and trust me, the viewer is someone whom accessed must have been allowed cause the video is well hidden) understand completely that their prayers are received with full appreciation. As a result of said prayers, God has responded in marvelous ways.

However, this is precisely my issue. To say that prayer is "working" would be to imply that prayer is some sort of formula. In essence, the thing that could be concluded is that the more that you pray the more that you get what you ask for. But that's not the case. You don't pray and see whether it "works" or not.

To be fair, this is a fairly trivial concern. The video was well made and I am certain that the thought never even crossed anyone else's mind. Yet it bothered me cause, well, I just wrote a mini essay regarding the very topic so I suppose it was just fresh on my mind.

Thus this post.

No comments: