Saturday, January 05, 2008

Friday Night Thoughts (Filipino Time)

Every other friday I attend a small group bible study with all the old people from my church. In the past, I have not always been too high on this group. In the past, I've secretly been critical of the way the bible study has been run. Some things just weren't good enough for me. We would never start/end on time. There would be a lack of focus. The absence of a clear cut leader bothered me. The list goes on.

Last night was no different. On my way to the bible study I was pessimistic about the how well the group would go this year. The group made new aspirations to make '08 be a year of difference and yet I heard that line too many times before. I simply wasn't a believer.

Much to my delight, yesterday night turned out to be wildly different than what I initially expected. Instead of the same old song and dance, the group was focused and excited to learn about Christ. So much so, in fact, that the love for the Lord was contagious in the room. It was something I had never experienced in that setting before.

While driving home, I reflected upon the night. I remembered why I had set my expectations so low but couldn't quite figure out why the night turned out so well. Then, almost instantly, I realized what happened; I underestimated God.

It's truly wonderful to consider how much God honors faith. Before the new year, everyone in our group was driven to be more committed in growing in Him. Sure enough, God smiled at our determination. The rest was His(tory).

No comments: